Equitable Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
“The Equitable Gas Light Company was formed in 1830 and incorporated in 1842. The works were built at Pimlico, on the Chelsea embankment of the Thames. They produced and distributed both coal and cannel gas. The company supplied Belgravia and areas of the Strand, Fleet Street and Blackfriars. Amalgamation with the GLCC finally came in 1871” (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.48765, -0.13272 Equitable Gas Works
1830 to 1871