Western Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 13:57, 12 May 2016 by Dkb394
“The Western Gas Light Company was a statutory company set up in 1845. The works was situated at Ladbroke Grove, in Kensal Green, between the Regents Canal and the railway. The company was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Company in 1872” (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.52578, -0.21649 and 51.52623, -0.219 Kensal Gas Works
1845 to 1872