Western Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 13:00, 11 January 2016 by EliseLehmann
1845 to 1872
“The Western Gas Light Co. was a statutory company set up in 1845. The works was situated at Ladbroke Grove, in Kensal Green, between the Regents Canal and the railway. The company was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Co. in 1872” (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable gas. Coal was largely mined in Britain but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Norway. The coal was shipped in on a barge up the canal and then burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.52578, -0.21649, 51.52623, -0.219 Kensal Gas Works