West Ham Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 10:45, 18 January 2016 by EliseLehmann
1846 to 1910
“The West Ham Gas Co., founded in 1846, it took over all the commercial Gas Co.'s mains in the parish in 1856, except those in a small part of Canning Town. The directors of West Ham Gas Co were local men, including several, like Capt. R.W.Pelly and John Meeson, who were also prominent on the local board, and on one occasion it was alleged that the company and the local board were 'hand in glove'. The company was taken over in 1910 by the Gas Light & Coke Company. Its works, at Stratford, were still open in 1965. “ http://www.newhamstory.com/node/1874
“The West Ham Gas Company was formed as a non-statutory Gas Co. in 1846 by Deed of Settlement, it gained statutory status in 1856. Its works were situated on Union Street, on the Channelsea River with access across the river to railway sidings. Stratford was the only works of the West Ham GC, however, they provided a bulk supply to the Chigwell Laughton and Woodford GC. The Gas Light & Coke Company began negotiations to take over the West Ham GC in 1908 resulting in the 1910 Amalgamation Act. The Gas Light & Coke Company modernised the works at Stratford and the West Ham GC's Chairman, Joseph Lister Godlee, joined the Gas Light & Coke Company's Court in 1909" (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.53359, -0.00198 West Ham Gas Works