West Ham Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 17:33, 19 October 2015 by EliseLehmann
1846 to 1910
“The West Ham Gas Company was formed as a non-statutory Gas Co. in 1846 by Deed of Settlement, it gained statutory status in 1856. Its works were situated on Union Street, on the Channelsea River with access across the river to railway sidings. Stratford was the only works of the West Ham GC, however, they provided a bulk supply to the Chigwell Laughton and Woodford GC. The Gas Light and Coke Co. began negotiations to take over the West Ham GC in 1908 resulting in the 1910 Amalgamation Act. The GLCC modernised the works at Stratford and the West Ham GC's Chairman, Joseph Lister Godlee, joined the GLCC's Court in 1909" (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable gas. Coal was largely mined in Britain but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Norway. The coal was shipped in on a barge up the canal and then burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.53359, -0.00198 West Ham Gas Works