West Ham Gas Company

From London's Ghost Acres

Revision as of 13:16, 5 October 2015 by EliseLehmann (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)


1846 to 1910

Located in



“The West Ham Gas Company was formed as a non-statutory Gas Co. in 1846 by Deed of Settlement, it gained statutory status in 1856. Its works were situated on Union Street, on the Channelsea River with access across the river to railway sidings. Stratford was the only works of the West Ham GC, however, they provided a bulk supply to the Chigwell Laughton and Woodford GC. The Gas Light and Coke Co. began negotiations to take over the West Ham GC in 1908 resulting in the 1910 Amalgamation Act. The GLCC modernised the works at Stratford and the West Ham GC's Chairman, Joseph Lister Godlee, joined the GLCC's Court in 1909" (The National Archives).

51.53359, -0.00198 West Ham Gas Works