Stepney Gas Works
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 17:03, 30 November 2015 by EliseLehmann
1844 to 1945
Used Raw Materials
|1839 |1945 |Commercial Gas Company |-
|1839 |1945 |Coal Gas Industry |-
Construction began at the Stepney Works in 1839 and the works were fully operational by 1844. In 1846 the works were expanded. In 1912 an internal railway was built to more easily transfer coal around the large site. Gas production stopped in 1945 and the works were demolished in 1952.
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable gas. Coal was largely mined in Britain but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, and Norway. The coal was shipped in on a barge up the river or on trains and then burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.