Shoreditch Gas Works

From London's Ghost Acres

Revision as of 14:37, 12 May 2016 by Bath (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

"Shoreditch works was built in 1823 at Whiston St and continued to manufacture coal until 1934 after which only the CWG plant remained in operation until the site was finally closed in 1953 and subsequently dismantled." (The National Archives)

Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.


1823 to 1953


Loading map...

Located in



Gas, Tar, Coke, Ammonia, Sulphur

Used Raw Materials



From To Owner
1823 1876 Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company
1876 1949 Gas Light & Coke Company
1949 1953 North Thames Gas Board


From To Industry
1823 1953 Coal Gas Industry