Difference between revisions of "Shoreditch Gas Works"
From London's Ghost Acres
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
Latest revision as of 14:37, 12 May 2016
"Shoreditch works was built in 1823 at Whiston St and continued to manufacture coal until 1934 after which only the CWG plant remained in operation until the site was finally closed in 1953 and subsequently dismantled." (The National Archives)
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
1823 to 1953
Used Raw Materials
|1823||1876||Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1876||1949||Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1949||1953||North Thames Gas Board|
|1823||1953||Coal Gas Industry|