From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 14:35, 21 September 2015 by EliseLehmann
1671 to 1994
Used Raw Materials
|1671 |1994 |Engineering Industry |-
The Royal Arsenal is located in Woolwich, London. The area has a long history dating back to Roman times, but it was in 1671 that the 31 acres were bought by the Crown and established as an Ordnance Storage Depot. The Royal Laboratories were set up in 1696 to manufacture gunpowder, shell cases, fuses and paper gun cartridges. The Royal Brass Foundry was established in 1717. The Royal Military Academy was established in the area in 1720, with the building now known as the Old Royal Military Academy. By the 1750s the manufacture of gun carriages was taking place in the Royal Carriage Department. In 1805 George III gave the entire complex the title of the Royal Arsenal (History of the Royal Arsenal, firepower.org). Production at the Royal Arsenal varied depending on the political situation in the world - wartime increased production while times of peace meant less arms were needed.
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1891/10/02 pages 269-270 have a walkthrough of the Royal Arsenal in 1891.
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1919/01/17 page 56 shows average monthly production stats during WWI
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1866/06/08 page 419 “How The Guns Are Tested At Woolwich” in 1866