Difference between revisions of "Pancras Gas Works"
From London's Ghost Acres
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
Latest revision as of 14:31, 12 May 2016
"St Pancras works was built in 1822 at Battlebridge Road, it was closed in 1904 but briefly re-opened in 1907 before finally being dismantled in the same year." (The National Archives)
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
1822 to 1907
Used Raw Materials
|1822||1876||Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1876||1907||Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1822||1907||Coal Gas Industry|