Difference between revisions of "Nine Elms Locomotive Works"
From London's Ghost Acres
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Latest revision as of 14:28, 12 May 2016
Nine Elms Locomotives Works were originally built by the London and South Western Railway in 1839, near Vauxhall Station. The works burnt down in 1841 and were rebuilt, but later moved slightly further south onto a bigger site in the early 1860s. Nine Elms Locomotive Works was the site of locomotive construction, and built over 800 steam locomotives during its time. In the late 1880s/early 1890s it was determined that further expansion was needed but would not be possible, and the carriage and wagon shops were moved to Eastleigh in 1891, with the locomotive works following between 1908 and 1910.
Nine Elms would have used iron from Sweden, Holland, Belgium, and Germany. Coal would have been used in some of the workshops and was largely mined in Britain, but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Norway.
1839 to 1910
Used Raw Materials
|1839||1910||London and South Western Railway|