Marine Engineering Works

From London's Ghost Acres

Revision as of 14:20, 12 May 2016 by Bath (Talk | contribs)

In 1799, John Penn started his agricultural engineering business in Deptford. In the 1830s, Penn’s son took over the business and focused on manufacturing marine steam engines. The company was very successful throughout the rest of the century and became the major engine supplier to the Royal Navy when it switched to steam power. John Penn and Sons was a major employer in the Greenwich area, with up to 1800 employees. In 1899 the company amalgamated with the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company as the Thames Iron Works Ship Building and Engineering Company. The new company failed in 1912.


1799 to 1912


Loading map...

Located in



From To Owner
1799 1899 John Penn and Sons
1899 1912 Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd


From To Industry
1799 1912 Engineering Industry