Difference between revisions of "London Spinning Mills"

From London's Ghost Acres

Line 27: Line 27:
{{Industry Footer}}
{{Industry Footer}}

Latest revision as of 14:18, 12 May 2016

"William Ritchie & Son, jutespinners, built a factory in Carpenters Road, Stratford, in 1864. By 1876 this was employing about 1,000, mainly women. It closed in 1904. The firm later turned to making jute sacks and bags, and cotton goods for industrial purposes, first in Carpenters Road and then at Caxton Street North, Canning Town. The Canning Town factory was bombed during the Second World War but was rebuilt after the war."


1864 to 1904


Loading map...

Located in


Used Raw Materials

Jute, Cotton


From To Owner
1864 1904 William Ritchie & Son


From To Industry
1864 1904 Rope and Fiber Industries