London Gas Light Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 13:52, 12 May 2016 by Dkb394
Formed in 1833 and opened the Vauxhall Gardens Gas Works. Opened the Nine Elms Gas Works in 1858 after closing the Vauxhall Gardens Gas Works. Taken over by Gas Light & Coke Company in 1883. The Vauxhall Gardens Gas Works were demolished.
“The company had become statutory in 1845 under the London Gas Light Co. Act. The company had bought a bulk supply of gas from the Equitable Gas Company to supply its north Thames area and continued this arrangement with the GLCC after its takeover of the Equitable Gas Company. The London Gas Light Company also leased holders to the Gas Light & Coke Company. In 1883 the London Gas Light Company was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Company.
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.48922, -0.12161 Vauxhall Gardens Gas Works
51.48099, -0.13601 Nine Elms Gas Works
1833 to 1883