From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 14:13, 12 May 2016 by Bath
Lambeth Pottery was a industrial site consisting of three adjacent factories owned by what would eventually become the Royal Doulton company. Starting in 1815, John Doulton, in partnership with John Watts, and later Doulton's son Henry, began producing pottery in the Lambeth area of London. In 1826 the current industrial site was built, producing a wide range of ceramic products from terracotta busts and sculptures to basic tableware to precise electrical insulators. However, Doulton specialized in the manufacture of industrial stoneware ceramics such as water filters, drainage pipes and sanitary fittings using a salt-glaze technique. These items were in popular demand at the time because of the frequent cholera outbreaks in mid-nineteenth century London. These outbreaks were believed to be partly the result of the use of porous materials such as brick in the construction of sewer and water infrastructure. By replacing the porous brick pipes with non-porous stoneware, the perceived risk of contamination of drinking water was reduced in London. The factory was shuttered in 1956 once clean air regulations prevented the use of the salt-glaze technique which the factory had come to depend on.
1826 to 1956
Used Raw Materials