Independent Gas Light & Coke Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 10:35, 18 January 2016 by EliseLehmann
1824 to 1876
The Independent Gas Light & Coke Company was formed in 1824. The company had gasworks in Haggerston, on Albert and Laburnum Streets, near the Regents Canal. Independent Gas Light & Coke Company was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Company in 1876 (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.53573, -0.07409 Haggerston Gas Works