Independent Gas Light & Coke Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 14:14, 28 September 2015 by EliseLehmann
1824 to 1876
The Independent Gas Light & Coke Company was formed in 1824. The company had gasworks in Haggerston, on Albert and Laburnum Streets, near the Regents Canal. Independent Gas Light & Coke Company was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Company in 1876 (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable gas. Coal was largely mined in Britain but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Norway. The coal was shipped in on a barge up the canal and then burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.