Haggerston Gas Works
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 11:22, 6 January 2016 by EliseLehmann
1829 to 1908
Used Raw Materials
|1829 |1876 |Independent Gas Light & Coke Company |-
|1876 |1908 |Gas Light & Coke Company |-
|1829 |1908 |Coal Gas Industry |-
"The works were situated on Albert and Laburnum Streets, Shoreditch, near the Regents Canal. The works were of interest as all their mains were overhead. There were originally four holders, later replaced with one large one. The Gas Light & Coke Co. took over the company in 1876 and closed the works in 1900 after which the site was cleared and stove and meter workshops erected." (The National Archives)
“Further along the canal from the works at Shoreditch was Haggerston Gasworks. It was built by the Independent Gas Light and Coke Company, who began operating in 1829 and within a few years had become a serious threat to the dominance of the Gas Light. As at Shoreditch, the canal-side location allowed for coal to be delivered to the works with ease, and in fact Haggerston works was built even closer to the water than this nearby rival, literally on the towpath. The Independent Company later became another of several companies absorbed by the Gas Light in 1876. Production continued here until the turn of the century when it was decided that the Haggerston works were now surplus to requirements. Final closure came in 1908.” (Pedroche)
“The first waterside works was constructed in 1824 by the Independent Gas Company on the canal bank running east from the Kingsland Road bridge to the Haggerston Bridge at Brunswick Street (now Queensbridge Road). The site included no fewer than six gasometers, and imposing offices were later constructed on Kingsland Road itself, with Croll’s Gas Meter Manufactory open next door from 1859 until 1930. A small inlet within the works allowed barges to tie up and discharge; from here, coal-heavers had to carry up to 30 tons of fuel a day on their backs to the retort house. … In 1893, the Independent’s former office premises were handed over to the Shoreditch Vestry for use as a public library, and the works finally ceased gas production in 1908.” (More, 16-17).
Closing date? Archives say 1900, Pedroche and More say 1908.