Difference between revisions of "Fulham Gas Works"
From London's Ghost Acres
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
Latest revision as of 14:02, 12 May 2016
"The Fulham works were built in 1824 at Sands End Lane and first operated as a holder station, with Samuel Clegg as its first engineer. In 1829 it commenced manufacture of gas and CWG plant was added in 1899. The works was connected to the Kensington Canal which was used to transport coal to the plant, docks were built in 1862 on the canal. From 1926 the coal arrived at a riverside wharf from sea going colliers. From 1908 to 1917 low gravity gas was made in separate plant and distributed to Hurlingham for use in Balloons both for leisure and war activity. The works was always known for its innovative design and methods and for a while had the largest holders in existence. In 1911 the Gas Light & Coke Company built its first workshop and transport depot at Fulham, adding a mantle burning off factory in 1916 and a Benzole motor spirit loading station in 1920. In 1927 a new Research Laboratory was built which was extended in 1942 and 1955." (The National Archives)
"The Imperial Gas Company started construction of its works at Sands End in Fulham in 1824. Its ornately decorated number 2 gasholder is Georgian, completed in 1830 and reputed to be the oldest gasholder in the World. The Imperial Gasworks' neoclassical office building was completed in 1857 and a laboratory designed by the architect Sir Walter Tapper was added in 1927. All three structures are now Grade II listed buildings." (Wikipedia)
"With the advent of North Sea gas in the 1970s the gasworks closed down and car breakers later occupied much of the site." (Hidden London)
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
1824 to 1970
Used Raw Materials
|1824||1876||Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1876||1949||Gas Light & Coke Company|
|1949||1970||North Thames Gas Board|
|1824||1970||Coal Gas Industry|