Equitable Gas Company
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 12:32, 6 January 2016 by EliseLehmann
1830 to 1871
“The Equitable Gas Light Company was formed in 1830 and incorporated in 1842. The works were built at Pimlico, on the Chelsea embankment of the Thames. They produced and distributed both coal and cannel gas. The company supplied Belgravia and areas of the Strand, Fleet Street and Blackfriars. Amalgamation with the GLCC finally came in 1871” (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable gas. Coal was largely mined in Britain but also shipped in from Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Norway. The coal was shipped in on a barge up the river or on trains and then burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
51.48765, -0.13272 Equitable Gas Works