Bankside Gas Works
From London's Ghost Acres
Revision as of 13:45, 12 May 2016 by Bath
The Bankside gas works were built in 1814 as the first gas works south of the Thames (The National Archives).
Gas works were used to produce and store flammable coal gas. Coal was mined in Britain and then shipped on a barge up rivers or on trains to the gas works. There it was burned to create the gas, which was then purified and put into the gas holders until needed for consumer use to light streets and buildings. The process also created coke, tar, ammonia, and sulphur as by-products.
1814 to 1938
Used Raw Materials
|1814||1821||Monro and Evans|
|1821||1824||South London Gas Company|
|1824||1880||Phoenix Gas Company|
|1880||1938||South Metropolitan Gas Company|
|1814||1938||Coal Gas Industry|