Alaska Factory

From London's Ghost Acres

Revision as of 13:43, 12 May 2016 by Bath (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Alaska Factory was built in 1869 by F.A. Schroeter, under J.M. Oppenheim & Co. The business was originally focused on the preparation of seal skins: unhairing, dressing and dyeing. As the seal trade diminished, the factory expanded to preparing general skins and furs. From 1880 the factory was under C.W. Martin & Sons Ltd until into the second half of the 20th century. During the Second World War, the factory focused its work on preparing sheepskins for the RAF flying suits.

“Alaska Factory Opened in 1869 for working seal fur, only the entrance gates with the carving of a seal remain of the old factory, once the haunt of 'shavers, blubberers, fleshers, dyers, tubbers and top-hatted wing-collared aproned craftsmen'. The newer art deco building is by architect Wallis Gilbert, who also designed the Hoover buildings in London.”

Seal skins were from Russia, Norway, Canada, and the United States of America.




Loading map...

Located in


Used Raw Materials

Seal Skins and Furs


From To Owner
1869 1873 J.M. Oppenheim & Co.
1873 1880 Martin and Teichmann
1880 The date "{{{to_date}}}" was not understood.The date "{{{to_date}}}" was not understood. C.W. Martin & Sons Ltd


From To Industry
1869 The date "{{{to_date}}}" was not understood.The date "{{{to_date}}}" was not understood. Leather and Skins Industry